Thursday, May 07, 2009

inter-coastal

Last week, while Rachel and I were wandering around San Francisco, Autumn called me to talk about the next leg of my trip. She gave me a few options: bum around the west coast for a week, then up to Portland. Or fly to NYC for the Yoga Journal Conference, then back to Portland and be all 'inter-coastal' about it.

When weighing these decisions in my head, I think of two things: What will be best for ATD? and How will it benefit me? Generally, whenever I am given these choices or asked if I can be here there then somewhere else, I just abide. The dude abides.

And I'd like to say it's because I am easy going or make the best of all situations ... while it may be a bit of these two, I think, in all honesty, it is more about my curiosity. I make the decision that will provide more adventure, more dislocation, more uncertainty. My curiosity overrides my apprehension like an overweight bully on the elementary school see-saw. As much as my mind wants to catch up with itself from time to time, it still wants to be stimulated and overwhelmed with the unfamiliar and what beauty that the not-yet-revealed has to unravel. Like Proust decided to do with Remembrance of Things Past, live first, then write. The writer is the arrangeur, but first, the manger, french for arrange and to eat, respectively. We arrange matters after we feed off of the world.

. . .

As I said, I do consider the company I work for first, because they are the wonderful women that provide me with the opportunity to travel around with beautiful flowing clothes and help women embrace loving the skin they live in. That's how I see what I do - and I am thankful every day that I am afforded the opportunity.

No comments: