Thursday, August 06, 2009

Moabyness

I'm sitting at Arches Book Store in Moab, Utah - one of my favorite bookstores in the nation... second to Powell's in Portland, OR.

Someone left me two quarters. A 1912 New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 1896 Utah Crossroads of the West.

I agree that Utah is the Crossroads of the West, mostly because of the drive I just made. From Telluride, 145 West to 90 West takes you through Norwood, Naturita, Bedrock and Paradox, Colorado. Towering red cliffs contrasted with jade pines and the dusty yellow valley floor . . . it's hard to keep your eye out for the free ranch cows wandering, traversing the roads with inattentive eyes.


cows on the road


paradox valley


paradox valley aussi


pretty rocks

Just as I was winding up toward the margin of my favorite state in the US, I thought about why I love Colorado so much.

I've been spending so much time in southwest Colorado lately - Telluride to be exact. This week alone, I hiked twice, climbed a VIA ferrata route, went to an EMS gathering with free Mojitos and sushi, played frisbee golf, drank a shot of whiskey in the middle of main street in the middle of the day, watched a play about squids, octopus and schools of fish, get 160 million in Harley Pinball, finished my paperwork ( : o ! ) and soaked naked in a hot tub at a mansion in the mountains. Hmmm . . . I also managed to bang my camera up against the rock to somewhat screw it up - so I'll have to get a new lens before I continue photographing things.

Here's some:

MY NEW BIKE!


kona!


FROM RIDGEWAY TO TELLURIDE - MOON AND THE MOUNTAINS


the land Ralph Lauren owns

VIA FERRATA PHOTOS!


us at the top... timer-shot



so scary!



Brian thru my broken lens

BRAINARD LAKE & the NEW WESTY!



the westy's first vista after camping at brainard lake...



westy! (soon to be named... when appropriate)

Off to Bozeman, Montana for the Sweetpea Art Festival ! ! ! I've never been to Montana - I hope to see lots of horses and rivers.

No comments: