Monday, June 30, 2008

Entering Purgatory




We took off for Telluride Bluegrass a few hours late due to foiled travel plans. I scooted out of Pagosa around 3 pm, hoping to pull into town around 6:30 - just in time for Tiki Tuesday party with Pete and Cat. Unfortunately, technology got the best of me, and I followed my GPS system blindly into a very far out of the way dead-end.

Hermosa Pass: just behind Purgatory Mountain in Durango. I was excited to be in Durango, the first place I'd ever been to in Colorado, and still one of my favorite places to visit. I followed the dirt road switchback 17 miles up and behind a gorgeous valley of green as Nickel Creek trickled in the background.





Suddenly, I come around a bend to an actual creek that was more than trickling. It took me a moment to realize there was no where to go - that I'd have to turn back, drive back down through Durango to Mancos and up through Dolores to get to my final destination. I literally put myself 3 hours back on the arrival time and ended up setting up camp around 9 pm.




If only the new van could limbo. . . over the river.


But I won't diss on the new vehicle. I like my new jet-pack with rocket-boxes and automatic locks.

No comments: