Monday, June 16, 2008

Kat & Chip

My favorite part of the Telluride Jazz Fest were my neighbors Kat and Chip, of River Totems - whom I called collectively "Ketchup."



After leaving Telluride, I wandered south toward my favorite town in Colorado: Durango. Just before my turn to go east, instead of meandering through another great little town - Dolores - I stopped to check out my map.

Lo and behold, Kat drives up next to me at my oh-so-random pit stop and we get out to greet one another. She offers that I come back to her house in Dolores for a while to see where she lives and meet her pup.

I was so grateful to run into Kat again, as I wasn't sure where I would go or what I would do with the rest of my day. Here are some photos of her beautiful house in the hills of Dolores.


She collects gnomes and scatters them around her 5 acre property...




More gnomage:




This is her pup Tanzee and gnome number 8:




Yucca and lizards!




Cacti!




I knew they'd be friends - - - >



--- > best friends




Tanzee and Kat overlooking the valley




Dolores is a great town; Kat and Tanzee are friends for life. See you guys in Taos!


... the night, however, did not end in Dolores. I scooted down to Durango to catch a flick at the Abbey Theatre. With a Ska brew and buttered popcorn in hand, I made my way into the balcony seating (which was a nice comfy leather couch) and watched My Blueberry Nights with Natalie Portman, Nora Jones and Jude Law.

Decisions. I made it to the film just in time to miss the important first ten minutes. I also missed the opportunity of light and open internet cafes to find a good campsite. I drove as far toward Pagosa as I could and ended up sleeping next to a picnic table in a nice park by the river. A dog woke me up at 6:30 am with a sniff of my forehead.

Bum? No, just easy to please.

No comments: