Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Slight Disparity in Clarity

Argument
An exchange of diverging or opposing views
Discussion
A detailed treatment of a particular topic in speech or writing
I’d rather the latter

I trip on the first
I burst forth with emotion and twist myself
up in a nonsensical abrasion of the issue
scraping the edges; a blunt stump

Instead of sharpening a point
I write and write with my granite tip
Saw off thoughts that pop in my head
Sparks of speech leap from my mouth

I leak tears like a tempestuous preteen
I’m weak and beat from the poke

1 comment:

power locks said...

are an argument and discussion really that different?

they are different, and i like that you acknowledge and express that. i like the idea. argument = emotion. true. in your poem, though, you mention that an argument is defined not by emotion but by opposition. discussions can feature opposition as well, but perhaps its more tone than content?

can someone talk about a particular subject in exactly the same way but with a different tone and influence its existence as a discussion or argument?

i think you are dead on when you mention that an argument can be characterized by the presence of emotion. and i think tone is influenced by emotion.

i am being longwinded. i dont want to be.

point: in an argument, you are both emotional and apathetic to achieving a resolution. in a discussion, you give honest consideration to all views expressed. argument = stubborn. discussion = openminded.