Monday, October 29, 2007

Wu Wei

I watched her roll along slowly, not more than 5 feet in front of me. She was on her cell phone. Something must've gotten caught cause her front tire halted to a stop and her back tire flipped over her like a headbang. She crumpled and curled next to the handlebars on the curve at Goss and astonishingly enough stayed on her cell phone the entire time. She whimpered "Fuck fuck fuck, are you still there? I'll have to call you back, fuck" and hung up and held her head with her right hand. I asked if she was okay, if she needed anything and I think she just needed a second to catch reality - to realize what just happened. She hunched over herself silent and finally looked up and said "I'm fine - fine. Don't worry" but I wanted to tell her that, not to worry. It would probably be a moment that would fix her in the end as it had Jeanie. Jeanie bumped her knee in a faultless bike tip months before and subsequently realized Boulder was not for her.

Was it the accident that illuminated this fact for her? No - it was the string of events that followed. But her knee is better and she is better and none of us did anything to help her realize it.

Nothing was done and everything changed.

No comments: