Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What a word means to me.

what a word means to me is
a silver dollar, stolen
from my mother

what a word means to me -
a favor, reciprocated in
the day that follows

What it means is
a dollop of butter on a
fresh-out-of-the-oven biscuit

It means a moment noticed
A bookcase polished
Attention focused

It means 'I love you' meant it
Dollars spent worth spending

It means your mother kept it:
the hidden notebook
tucked for forgotten

the words you wrapped up
in a blanket, shoved
under your childhood bed, it

means love love still exists
though yesterday you faked it

Sentiments left on paper,
lost to be found twelve years later

A word means memories, they follow
and though you never meant
to call her

Your speed dial trumped you once again
and yes, even the leaders follow,
eventually everyone falters -

but the word, it's there as fodder . . .

No comments: