Sunday, February 19, 2006

Caroline

Caroline
I’ve seen her lift that ton
bucket of sugar that I can
barely slide

I’ve tried to unlatch the
cappuccino cap after
she brewed a double shot
always caught so tight, I
try and fight
left, loose
but still- it’s stuck

I’ve noticed her teeth,
their grinding features,
snarl when she smiles

The style of her
thong, so wrong to be showing
Pulled so tight up her back, must
be why she’s uptight and
cracks when the crumbs collect
on the fridge’s ledge- she
needs to relax

I’m scared to scoot by her
belly or butt
with only tiles
length space

When she’s cutting
lemons or cake
the knife mocks,
stares at me
as it rocks back and forth
across the cutting board-
teetering in her hand, far away
from my face
but the mirage
makes the movement
fast

I cast a glance
toward her
eyes, catch a devising grin
on the lower rim
of her brown
pupils
She is stupid but
skilled at scaring
the wits out of
me.
I hope she doesn’t cut me.

No comments: