Tuesday, August 05, 2008

and the fur that he is wearing is the fur that he prefers...



It's good to be comfortable in your own skin. I think I've reached that level for myself this summer (maybe it's because I am tan?)

On the drive back from Santa Fe, the sun was setting in the west (as it often does) and Chelsea and I would either drive until 1 am to get back to Boulder, or set up camp Somewhere, Colorado.

Ever since I moved to Colorado, I wanted to visit the Sand Dunes. Lo and Behold, the sign appeared on our right. Without even thinking, I turned down the longest straightest levelest road in Colorado. It was freaky - the bug splats on the windshield began to take many forms as the darkness set upon us. I saw things scampering across the road. Lights exploding into the distant mountain.

We parked somewhere near the picnic area that prohibited vehicles from parking overnight. We parked in the back to "hide" in the wide open space of a parking spot. Chelsea was nervous someone would come up to us in the middle of the night, steal us, and our vacant GMC would be found a few days later with no trace of us. That was a comforting note to fall asleep to.

Here's what we woke up to:






My point about being comfortable in my own skin is - I hadn't thought about all the bad things that could have happened to us there. I don't have these worries that Chelsea so often conveys to me from her mind. Not only do I not worry about the worst situation that could happen, I often believe in myself enough to take care of it were it to occur.

This attitude reminds me of when Jackie and I went Duckying down the Dolores River. Chris, our oh-so-friendly friend who offered to let us use his duckies and drive us up the river, asked: "Have you ever done this before?" when we didn't know all the terminology. My only answer was a confident "No, but we can figure it out."

I've always thought that about everything. Give me a puzzle and I'll figure it out. Put me in a labyrinth and I'll figure my way out. Give me unknown situations, strangers and odd-balls, I want to figure them all out.

No comments: