Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Blast from Birmingham

So you say,

"Wait."

Easy for you

who've never felt

stinging darts

of segregation.

Wait for what?

For the vicious mobs

to lynch my father

drown my sister?

For a hate-filled officer

to kill at will

curse and kick me at a whim?

I will not wait for this

Hate or this

Brutalization.

When we see our Negro brothers

smothered in an air-tight

cage of impoverished night

amidst the affluent society

which spits its twisted speeches

as I seek to spell out

to my six-year old daughter

that's it not her fault

but she can't go to the public

amusement park

because the social abuse

the author of our lives provides

by writing clouds of inferiority in

our mental skies.

When you too feel this sense

of 'nobodiness'

you will not need to wonder

why we will not wait

to sever ourselves from this

disconnected state.

3 comments:

frillytoothpicks said...

Well, perhaps this post was needed along with the post.
My poet friend and I are working on a project to propose at an English Conference out in Portland, Oregon. Our statement is that plagiarism has a very vague, disconcerting definition to people who like to experiment in writing. The "stealing" of ideas, words, concepts...
Great writers like William Burroughs and Ted Berrigan imitated, used and manipulated pieces of others' writing all the time.
While we were exploring the concept of plagiarism, I decided to test it myself. This poem is configured off of a very powerful political piece by Martin Luther King, "Letter From Birmingham Jail." It has been altered and the words run down the page, therefore some might say, especially poets, that it is my piece now. That I do not need to indicate where I took some of the words from. It's a great debate, if any would like to oppose it, it would help greatly in our quest to discover where the line of plagiarism should be drawn...

frillytoothpicks said...

Using ellipsis' twice in that long of a post is considered overuse??

Maybe we should examine the proper use of ellipses?
Perhaps that would be a bit more beneficial to my englilsh endeavors...? How's that sound...?

:)

frillytoothpicks said...

Cause you're creepin' me out. It's okay... Go on with your strange comments... I'll embrace it from now on.

The reality is ... it's hard to read you're stuttering comments.