Monday, August 20, 2007

If Thens: Conditional Statements

Mr. Suzuki (Zalewski?) introduced them to me in freshman year advanced mathematics. Conditional statements: if this, then that. And I live like a conditional statement where I pursue the this so the that materializes. i.e. If Ken comes to work on time then I'll convince him to let me leave early for roadtrip. If I lived in Ophir, I'd get a gopher and name him Larry. If I go to the moon, I'll bring you back a small bottle full of it. If I stocked a vending machine, I'd sell scenic views. If I made road signs for a living, I'd ask you to marry me. If I were a candy chemist, I'd devise swiss fish!
He said he couldn't get feet off his mind and because of the focus, couldn't come up with a good If Then. Sometimes focus is too limiting. Maybe it's okay to be unpredictably erractically scattered. I know I've noticed these past few days that by being a juggler, one becomes much more adept at multi-tasking. He can listen, respond, engage and be conjuring up an entirely separate statement (saved for an appropriate time of release) all at once. An impressive listener.

Next will be syllogisms. If I saw a beautiful sunset, I'd point it out to you. If I pointed it out to you, I'd veer from eyeball prodding. If I saw a beautiful sunset, I'd veer from prodding.



No comments: