Monday, August 20, 2007

Wading Under a Bridge

His Swiss father once sat in a hot tub surrounded by beautiful young women, entirely interested in enticing him. Though the chance was there and the chance was nice, he made a conscious decision to announce to the sexy Sirens his fidelity to his wife. Christoph saw this all occur from a distance. His father was unaware the impression of pride he had stamped upon his son's vigilant eyes. Life is full of pivotal points hinged with difficult decisions: it is fun and transiently satisfying to indulge, experiment and explore, but like Ben Folds says "I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down."

We discussed roofs, literally & figuratively. It is important to keep an ambitious attitude in life, to seek more, desire betterment, but we can easily be caught in this vicious ladder climb and lose sight of how high we've already clomb. Contentment used to be such a scary word for me. I thought those who were content were just quitters on living or boring. I guess my young, racing mind needed constant action and improvement - Why wouldn't they want to continue to progress?!?

I've finally slowed down a bit (not much, but enough) to see why contentment can be a very useful state of being. Comfort and security are two things a state of contentment can provide. It is also important to remember that maybe it is best to consciously decide which areas of one's life need constant mining and which sections are fine at the very state they are at. Being in a constant state of movement can cause panic and stress - it is good to stop, observe your life, realize what is vital and make sure to keep it alive. Just as a house needs walls for structure, a roof is essential as well. (Heights and extensions may vary)

No comments: