Wednesday, November 28, 2007

On Addiction:

Once I blog once in an uneventful, unstressful night, I blog twice. Then thrice. Who knows how many more will follow.

Here's a quotation on addiction said by my legendary professor: Bobbie Louise Hawkins:

"I think reading is an addiction. Writing is like a secondary addiction. You realize if you're going to be an addict, you might as well be your own supplier."


...and since we're already here and quoting my most quotable professor, I will slap a few more into the cyber-world.

"Women who are attracted to Narcissistic men do it to have space."

"What kind of hooker has a bum hip?"

"Republicans love celebrities - why? - well, because they want them to read the lines right."

"I'd like to suggest that solutions aren't necessarily the best thing that can happen. Putting a nail through something isn't going to fix your future."

"And flopping around is often where it's at - you flop around until you find yourself at a place you didn't expect. As DH Lawerence once said: 'My characters slog along and slog along and then they blossom like little cabbages!'"

"Go with it that you don't have a chance in hell but to change constantly."

"The ideal is like a grey cloud hovering over what actually is. And it makes 'what is' look inadequate and even though the ideal extends itself as unattainable, you continue to vote for it to show that you have standards."

"Rhetoric will not let a new thing happen."

"Pieces like this run the risk of becoming confetti."


Everyone should meet BLHawkins.

1 comment:

Fundraising for LLS said...

b.l.hawk is my idol.
i'll send you a tape of our class w/bernadette mayer if it fits thru the tiny electronic airwaves.
post your i'm not there!